Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I've Got Your Number



Priorities.  I totally forgot them the minute I started reading Sophie Kinsella's book, I've Got Your Number.

The book was part of the birthday goodie bag I got from Ruel last Sunday.

I started reading it at 6:30am yesterday, planning to read only a few pages because I had other more pressing matters to attend to.  But once I started reading, I just couldn't stop.  I found myself turning the pages, one after the other until I got to the last page.

I read it in eight hours straight, stopping only for breakfast and lunch and for the occasional chats I had with my son and with my mom.

I found it so easy to relate to the main character, Poppy Wyatt.  I didn't like her at first, thinking she was selfish and dishonest.  But the more I read, the more I began to like and understand her.  Towards the end, I actually thought she and I had a lot of similarities.

In fact, her character was so real  she could be the person sitting next to you in the train or jeepney.  She's sometimes insecure, sometimes nosy, always curious, eager to please and help, with really funny ideas that I think I would also get into if I was compelled to.

Sam Robston was strong and kind and successful. Wow! It was easy to fall in love with him!  No wonder Poppy did!

So, what was the story about?  I promise if you want to read the book, you can still continue reading this.  I'll just give a preview.

Imagine this.
Your boyfriend proposed to you with an engagement ring that has been in his family for three generations.  Of course, you're flattered!  And you've only been dating for a month!

You are with your friends in this hotel and they try on your ring. It goes around the table and suddenly the fire alarm goes off.  Everyone panics and you lose your ring.

You're thinking you can't lose your ring. You have to find it ASAP because you're having dinner with your future in-laws that day.

You look for it and while you're at it, someone steals your phone.  You have to leave a number at the concierge....but what number?

Suddenly, you see a phone in a trash bin.  You get it, and you give that number to the concierge.  But the phone has an owner.  It's a company phone.  The owner now wants it back.  But you can't give it back until you get your ring back because it's the only way the hotel can contact you.

And so, you make a weird deal with the owner, something that he cannot do anything about.

This story had me laughing, smiling and crying....but then again....as I have told you, it's easy to make me cry.

I won't tell you any more. You've really got to read it on your own.  I promise, you won't regret it.  You're going to have a fun time.

It's very light, very funny and so romantic.  It left me with a smile and a sigh.  If you like love stories, I think it will do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint a smile on my face by leaving a note.