Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What happened in September

Since I didn't get to post much this September, let's all have a look back at some of the things that happened last month.


I finally had my surgical procedure.  I think this pic was taken after the surgery.


This was my breakfast the day after the procedure.  To be honest, I enjoyed it.  I fasted for 15 hours before the procedure and didn't eat till five hours after the procedure.  So, even if I already had dinner the night before I still felt famished the following morning.


Multitasking a week after surgery: breakfast at Starbucks, making my lesson plan and waiting for my doctor's clinic to open.


I couldn't resist taking a pic  of this blackboard.  I got a very warm welcome from my students and when I entered I saw this.  Since I wasn't their adviser, their gesture touched me so.  It seemed they missed me after two weeks of not seeing me in school.


Dinner with a former co-teacher at Ramen Bar.  Had so much fun just chatting and catching up!

One would think that the hardest thing I  did last September was to undergo the surgical procedure.  Surprisingly it wasn't.

Last Friday, my son went on an out-of-town field trip.  At first, I couldn't decide whether to allow him or not.  They were going to Mt. Makiling and go trekking there. I didn't exactly know how far up the mount they would go plus I searched about the place online and I read that there were snakes and a lot of leeches there. The fact that the weather forecast was not a good one made everything worse. I was afraid of landslides and flashfloods which I read often happened where they were going.  My son was also not the athletic type  having been raised mostly by women.  I was afraid he wasn't strong enough, not ready to go out there on his own yet, etc. etc.

In the end I knew I had to let him go so he could experience going out of town with his friends the way I did when I was his age.   I wanted him to enjoy what his other classmates were bound to enjoy and so I let him go.  And that was the hardest thing I did last month and probably the hardest I have ever done since the time he was born.  

I know mothers would agree with me when I say that letting your kids go is never easy.  We are so used to just being there for them, always making sure that they are safe and protected.  But there will always come a time when you know you  have to let them go and let them explore the world on their own, when you know you have to let them make their own mistakes, allow them to stumble a little so that they could be stronger.  And when that time comes it would be so hard you could get a headache from thinking about it but you'd have to do it anyway because you know it would be the right thing to do for your child.  

That's exactly what happened to me.  I just resigned myself to the reality that my boy is now fourteen and that I needed to trust his ability to take care of himself.  I trusted him ( I had to) and I trusted God to take care of him.  

He enjoyed his trip and came back home to me safe and sound.  God is good!  


5 comments:

  1. The only reason why we don't let them go is we are not there to see every action they do. Wherever they want to go, we allow as long as we are there to closely monitor if they are safe and okay. Yun ang nakakaba sa atin. kasi if ever we are there and may hindi magandang mangyari, at least we are there to first save them and know their real condition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I totally agree. It's all just because we always want to be there anytime they need us.

      Delete
  2. I smiled as I read this. My boys are now 38 and 42 and the hardest part was letting them go. Now I am raising two grandchildren who are 15 and 13 and I am going through it all over again. Mothers all around the world are the same it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! In our hearts, we are all the same. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear all went well Claire!
    And yes, it is definitely very hard to let go and to know when to say no.
    That's so sweet to hear how much your students love and missed you!
    Have a great week!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete

Paint a smile on my face by leaving a note.