Thursday, February 28, 2013

How Times Have Changed - Teacher's Edition

I wasn't planning to do a post today but while I was reading Brook's blog I suddenly found myself wanting to write my own version of How Times Have Changed - Teacher's Edition.

20th Century 

Private school teachers were often able to leave school at 5 pm.

21st Century

Private school teachers often stay in school till 7, 8, or sometimes even past 12 midnight to finish work.

20th Century

Private school teachers could come up with a decent  lesson plan in less than two hours.

21st Century

Private school teachers have to spend a minimum of 6 hours to come up with a decent lesson plan.  
(If you're wondering why, this is because of the complicated format)  This does not include the time spent in editing the lesson plan after submission.

20th Century 

Private school teachers could go to sleep without being interrupted by their superiors or parents.

21st Century

Private school teachers have to answer text messages or calls from parents in the middle of the night or they are told by superiors to send sms messages to the parents to give announcements or reminders.

20th Century

Private school teachers could do their work without needing a  big amount of money.

21st Century

Private school teachers need to spend their own money on laptops and printers.




These are just a few observations on how times have changed for teachers.  It is based on my mom's life (she is a retired teacher) and my life as a teacher today.

A big thank you to Brook for inspiring this post but unlike how she obviously feels, I can't say I'm happy that I'm a 21st century teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint a smile on my face by leaving a note.